Thursday, July 21, 2022

Saying Goodbye to Elder Owens!

May 28, 2022
After almost 2 weeks of online MTC training, Kaden is packing to fly to Mexico City.

I was at the store and came across this sign in Spanish.  It translates in English to "Life is Beautiful" and I had to have it!  This is my nod to my Spanish speaking missionary.

May 29th: Kaden and his brothers on his last Sunday at home.  They happened to have a linger longer after church, so it was the perfect last Sunday.


Drinking juice boxes LOL!
May 30th, 2022
Kaden was done with training early, since he would be flying out early the next morning.  
We had family over to celebrate Memorial Day and say goodbye to Kaden.
Originally we had all planned to go camping, but we hadn't realized Kaden would be on his mission and that the weather was forecasted to rain the entire weekend.  So Reed had made steak fajitas to bring camping and brought dinner to us.  It was delicious and so much fun to spend time talking with family outside in our new outdoor space.  

Ajah and Kaden
My nephew Morgan and his girlfriend Kristina 
My brother Reed and his wife Sakurako
My brother Jeff and his son Chris.








Paxton shooting one of the new high powered water guns Josh bought the boys for their birthdays. 
Last family photos with Elder Owens.


I had Ajah take a few quick family photos for us, since this was our last chance for a family photo for at least 2 years.  I love it so much!  I'm sure by the next family photo, I will undoubtedly be the shortest, our boys sure grow tall!
This is Kaden with Jason, Gabe's step-dad.  Jana and Jason have been like another set of parents for Kaden and he really admires them!  
Kaden and his cat Khaleesi.
May 31, 2022
Up at 4am to get ready to take Elder Owens to the airport this morning. He’s officially on his way to the Mexico City MTC, where he’ll be living and immersed in Spanish training for the next 4 weeks. I kept it together right up until I hugged him one final time before he got in line to go through security, then I cried 😭.
Kaden with his entourage: his brothers and his two best friends, Ajah and Gabe.   






And then just after we got home I went upstairs to check on Versii and he was in Kaden’s room on his bed crying. So I started crying again! We snuggled up in Kaden’s bed and cried together. 😭 We’re so sad we’ll be missing Kaden but super excited for him at the same time & know he is about to do amazing things!
****
We heard from Kaden, in the evening: He had to borrow someone's phone to call, his flight got in about 45 minutes late and he didn't get a phone assigned yet.
He said he made it safe. He has been fed. He's sharing an apartment the size of his bedroom with 3 other missionaries. They have bunk beds. He said it's like a gated compound within the city. He said it's very different and he'll try to take pictures when he gets his phone.
This is his first time outside of the United States. ðŸ˜œ


No comments: