Friday, July 25, 2008
This morning, when I was pouring Kaden's cereal, I spotted this huge earwig inside the container...EWWWW! Now, my question is, how did he get there? I bought the box of Lucky Charms at the store only the day before and while unloading groceries at home, I opened the box, took the unopened bag out and dumped it directly into this empty airtight cereal container...so you tell me: Just how good is quality control at the cereal plant? And could this bug have been living alive inside the sealed cereal bag? That's the only way I can think that he could have gotten into my cereal.
This week's Mommy & Me was up at Portland's International Rose Test Garden. Just another beautiful place to visit in Portland. It's just breathtaking. There are hundreds of different varieties of roses, among other beautiful garden areas. Kaden had a great time, he got soaked playing in the fountain. And Versii would have had a great time if I would have only given him a little more freedom. As soon as I let him out of the stroller, he was off to the flower beds, with the fresh soil. Ahhh...dirt, sweet dirt!
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
On a side note: For those of you thinking about building a house in Multnomah county, or just curious... I bet you can't guess how much the building permit cost on this house???
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Here's the description I found online, since this describes it better than I can:
In Brief: Take a prince who cannot laugh, a witch who curses him with a fatal passion for not one but three oranges, a double-dealing Prime Minister, a devil with magic bellows, a giant rat and a cook with a lethal ladle; place the whole thing in a fairy-tale kingdom, set it to Prokofiev's sly, scintillating music and you have one of opera's most surreal comic masterpieces, The Love for Three Oranges.
I can't seem to find that this Opera is currently being performed anywhere, but if you ever hear about it, you should definitely go. --This is no ordinary Opera. It was presented as a Scratch & Sniff opera. When we arrived at the opera house, we were given scratch & sniff cards with our programs. And throughout the performance, someone on stage would hold up a card to let the audience know to scratch a certain number on the card. For example: the devil with magic bellows would blow smoke out of his hind end and at that moment, the audience would all be scratching their cards...then the whole auditorium smelled like someone just farted. It was crazy! As you can imagine if hundreds of people are all scratching the cards at the same time, the smell really comes to life. Of course, there was a scratchy for an orange smell too, but those are the only 2 smells I still remember. Anyway, it was definitely one of the best times I ever had at the Opera.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Josh will probably make fun of me for sharing this, but I'm going to do it anyway. The other day I was thinking about all the products that I just couldn't live without and Ivory soap would be one of them.
I have come across a few who know the secret cleaning power of Ivory, but when you find a product that's great, I think it should be shared.
Plain Ivory bar soap is the best for getting out tough stains. It works better than Shout, or any of those pre-treatment things. I clean a lot of things with this stuff. For those of you who are Moms, this soap will almost always even remove those awful yellow baby poop stains from clothes. Ivory is great for grease spots on clothes too. I like to use it, with a toothbrush, to clean dirty shoes too. (Yes, I'm a little neurotic when I start cleaning.) I can basically get almost any stain out with Ivory. Just a tip of how I use it -- Directions according to Joy: Lightly wet the fabric and then rub the bar directly on the stain. I often have to use my fingernails to scrub it out too. Rinse and repeat. Just yesterday, there was some sort of brown stain all across the front of a shirt I got out of the dryer, and I was able to get it out. ---Anyway, if your stain doesn't come out using this, I'd say it's permanent.
Ha Ha...while I at it, I'll share my other cleaning product must-haves:
1. Ivory Bar soap's #1, but you just read that
2. Soft Scrub with Bleach - LOVE IT! It can clean almost anything.
4. Old toothbrush for detail scrubbing
5. Sponge with one side smooth and one side rough.
Just so you know, I don't love to clean, but when I get in the mood to clean...I sort of go crazy into detail. I do suffer from a little OCD complex. LOL
Trenya, I just started reading your blog, and I'll play along. Although, I don't know how many people read my blog either, so we'll see what we get. Here's how you play:
1. As a comment on my blog, leave one memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you knew me a little or a lot, anything you remember!
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. It's actually pretty funny to see the responses. If you leave a memory about me, I'll assume you're playing the game and I'll come to your blog and leave one about you. If you don't want to play on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, I'll leave my memory of you in my comments. Let the memories begin!
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Above: Just a clip of David Archuleta, singing one of my new favorite songs.
Below: This clip is of the audiance going wild over David Cook. The sound just can't be duplicated on a camera...but I think you get the point.
Friday, July 11, 2008
The other day, I heard Kaden singing this primary song. While he played with his toys, I would hear him humming it and then I would hear him singing it. Normally during the Primary Programs he just stands there, with a smile, but doesn't sing. The last time we asked him why he wasn't singing...and his answer was, "I don't know the songs." But now I know better. It just go to show that even if the kids don't participate, it doesn't mean the information isn't getting through. I love to hear him singing.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
You have to list 3 joys, 3 fears, 3 goals, 3 current obsessions, 3 random surprising facts about yourself and then tag 5 people that have to complete this too.
1. Watching my husband play his music. (I'm honored that I finally have my own song.)
2. Watching my boys learn new things.
3. And MUSIC. Just music, all sorts. Music is amazing, how it can change your mood or bring back memories. I couldn't live life without it.
1. Being a bad mom (same as my sister Julie, among others, but I'll make this my #1)
2. My kids being badly hurt
3. ??? I'm sure I have a lot more, but I can't think of any right now.
Goals: (Julie, you didn't reply to this one.)
1. I want to complete the digital scrapbooks I'm trying to make for the boys.
2. I want to transfer all our digital photos online.
3. Become "Super Mom" (Ha Ha)...just kidding. I know that's not possible. I'm trying to teach Kaden math. Since he's already mostly mastered reading.
1. Blogging...ever since I started, I'm become obsessed. (As Josh would say.) I check it out or add to it every day. I love to read comments and know I have friends. Plus it's a great way to start getting to know someone.
2. Keeping my house clean. Not only do you have the normal chores, but having kids, it seems like the cleaning never ends.
3. Staying in shape. Now that I can fit into my "skinny jeans," I want to keep it that way.
Random surprising facts about me:
1. I must have chocolate on a daily basis to stay sane. Although I don't know how random that is, since those of you who really know me already know this.
2. I always buy a candy bar for myself when I go grocery shopping alone. And then I eat it on the way home. Then I usually hide the wrapper, so no one questions where their candy is. lol
3. Ever since I figured out what Suduko was all about, I became obsessed. I used to sit and do Suduko puzzles whenever I could. And since Josh thought I did it so much, when he would come into the room and ask what I am up to, I would have it stashed under a book and say, "Nothing..." - But he always knew better.
Sunday, July 6, 2008
On a side note: It looks like I came away with only 5 mosquito bites from 4th of July, while Versii got 2. Bugs just love me!
Friday, July 4, 2008
I just love to see fireworks. My pictures aren't award-winning, but they give you a good idea of the fireworks we enjoyed. The crazy looking ones, the ones with the streaks of light, were taken using the "fireworks" setting on my camera. I just thought they looked neat.
We had a very relaxing 4th. No one in the house had to work so we watched a few movies. The Golden Compass and Fool's Gold. I'm no movie critic, but I will say that we really weren't that impressed with the Golden Compass. The film work was cool, but it just wasn't as great as it seemed like it would be. Josh and Kaden were bored with it. Kaden really liked The Cronicles of Narnia, so I thought for sure he would like this one, but he left shortly after it started to go play in his room. Dad was so bored that he fell asleep. (HaHa, he falls asleep a lot when he's bored, or should I say he "rest his eyes" a lot.) As for Fool's Gold, I thought is was a good movie, although there is a scene were good 'ol Matt gets flashed by a girl and it was totally unnecessary and some language that need not be present. And this flick is rated PG-13...what happened to the days when boobs were only seen in the R rated films? Anyway, in between the movies, we barbecued. We had really yummy steaks. And in the evening, Josh and Kaden ran out to buy some fireworks. We just weren't sure we wanted to go out and join the masses for any of the big shows this year. So, we just stayed home, and had our own fireworks show in the backyard. This is Versii's 2nd 4th of July, but last year he was such a new baby he just fell asleep, and this year, he was tired and scared. He ended up going inside to watch fireworks from the window, with Grandma. He didn't mind watching the lights, but the sound really bugged him. Speaking of bugs, why is it that the mosquitoes only like me? I swear I have been bit several times tonight. I'll be able to assess the full damage tomorrow. All in all, we had a great day! How about you?