Sunday, September 5, 2021

Other August Highlights

August 10, 2021: We ordered this bed frame and new dining chairs and a bench from Room & Board months ago and they finally all came in.  So we drove over to the warehouse in Beaverton to pick them up.  I have actually wanted this exact bedframe for over 20 years.  I fell in love with it when I first saw it at the Room & Board show room with Maryann, in Colorado.  And 20 years later, I finally have my dream bedframe!  
Josh and I found this super soft side chair, the pillow and the plant at a cute vintage shop in Portland.

The red rug Josh picked out at the vintage store and we have since moved it up to his band room, as it didn't really match our room decor.
Our old bedframe was low to the floor and this new one has so much space underneath, so the storage I used before just didn't work.  I found these cute floral boxes at Home Goods and I love them!
Our new dining chairs and bench.  It's funny because when I was younger we referred to fake leather as "pleather" and now they call it "vegan leather".  It's the new posh term.  Theses chairs did not come in any other material than the vegan leather, but we got a sample and Josh tried stretching it, scratching it and crumpling it and it held up surprisingly well.  I'm excited to finally have some comfortable dining chairs and that they are easy to clean!  

We've never had a bench before, but I think it will be nice to have.
August 11: Kaden all packed up to drive back to Colorado for a few weeks.
August 13: I found this cute open bookcase on Facebook marketplace for Paxton.  It was handmade by the seller's neighbors Grandfather.  We replaced Paxton's nightstand with the shelf and we had these metal bins that fit perfectly on the bottom shelf.  Paxton was so excited to have the shelf space to display his Star Wars Legos!  And on top of that, it inspired him to clean and organize his whole room!  

August 21, 2021: Family blackberry picking next door.
We picked 3 containers full of blackberries.





I made 2 blackberry pies from scratch.  Homemade crust, filled with layers of lemon cream cheese and blackberries mixed with sugar and lemon juice.  I brushed egg on top of the crust and sprinkled it with course sugar.  I'm not really great with the food art, so the pies weren't the best looking, but they were super delicious!
We kept the squirrel pie and gave the better looking one to our neighbor.

August 22: Any one who knows me knows that I love to organize!  And I had the idea to organize our card games.  It seems like some card games are packaged in boxes so much larger than needed and some are packed in boxes so tight that you have to take the time to put all the cards back just right to actually fit them in the box.  So I decided to buy these water resistant 5 x 7 inch zippered pouches.  And now our cards are both organized and easy to get out and put away.  So I'll count that as a win/win!


August 23: Paxton had his 2nd appointment with the orthopedic doctor.  
They removed his first cast and X-rayed his left wrist again.  The X-ray still looked the same as before.
Apparently the scaphoid bone usually takes a minimum of 12 weeks to heal.  



Due to the healing time, Paxton had a new cast put on.  This time he chose black because he wanted it to match the wrist brace on his other arm.  He'll have this cast on for one month before we go back in for another check.  His wrist brace only has to be worn full time for 2 more weeks and then he can remove it when he's sitting or resting.  It sounds like we should plan on Paxton wearing a cast for almost 3 months before he's all healed.
August 28: We drove out to see our friend's the Schreiner's at their cabin near Mt Hood.  
Above: Josh and Josh hanging out in the hammocks.
The kids playing games together, we toured the progress of their new home addition, went for a walk and had dinner together.  
August 30: Celebrating my 42nd Birthday!  
I woke up early, as usual, so I went back to bed an took an hour long morning nap.  After that, I took my boys out to Mod Pizza for lunch.  Then we went over to Cascade Station to shop.  I ended up getting the boys clothes, but also I found a great pair of jeans and a super soft v-neck top.  And before leaving the Portland area, we drove over to Pix Patisserie, which has been closed for a while due to COVID, but they have 2 large refrigerated vending machines where you can buy Pix desserts 24 hours a day.  So unfortunately no more free birthday dessert, but at least I can still get my favorite dessert, so that makes me happy!  And for dinner we picked up our favorite Thai food.  ---After all that, I relaxed for the rest of the night and watched a Hallmark movie.  It was a great day with my family.

August 31: Versii's first day of High School!  He is a Freshman this year!  
I can't believe my kids are growing up so fast.
***
Paxton is starting the 7th grade.  And this year he's decided to be home-schooled, so he'll start his school the day after labor day.  The kids in Washington are mandated to wear masked all year.  Paxton really didn't want to spend every day wearing a mask and even wrote a whole pro's and con's list.  His only con was "social" and we can still invite friends over, which solves that!
***
Kaden is about to start Fall term at Clark College and as long as he passes all his classes, he'll graduate with his Associates Degree! 






No comments: