Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hospital: Our New Home

My 1st trip to the hospital was a day trip with Joshua.
He had his 3rd surgery on his nose Apr 21st. They did a septoplasty and removed a bunch of scar tissue. He said it was the most painful of the 3.
My 2nd trip to the hospital was with Versii on April 24th. He got sick on Friday morning with vomiting and diarrhea. I'll just say that Friday I changed 20 diapers and he vomited 17 times. Saturday he wasn't drinking much and was still really sick. So, I took him to the ER. They hooked him up to an IV and he hated it, of course. He kept waking up every 10 minutes, saying, "Get it off, I want to go home." While I was there, I changed 7 diapers. And right before they were about to release us, Si pooped again and when I went to change it, the doctor was in the room. And when he saw the volume and consistency, he said, "We're going to have to admit him. You won't be able to keep up with hydrating him yourself." ---So we got a room and ended up staying in the hospital until Monday night at 7pm. They confirmed that Versii had Rotavirus. Which is the most common cause of hospitalization from diarrhea. He seemed a little better on Tuesday morning, but by evening he had gone downhill again. I couldn't get him to drink and then I changed a diaper that was so full it literally flooded out the back and the legs when I laid him down. ---I had a little meltdown and cried. Then we went back to the ER and were admitted for our 2nd stay. This time we stayed until Thursday morning. At first Versii hated the hospital, but after a few days, I think he kind of liked having 24 hour attention from Mommy. By the end, he didn't even want to go home. But we told him, that everyone at home missed him. And he said, "They is sad without me."
His fleece blanket was a gift from "Project Linus" - They are a non-profit organization that provide security blankets to kids going through illnesses. I can't thank them enough. The blanket was waiting for us when we got up to his room. Versii loves his new blanket and it made him as comfortable as he could be in a hospital.
We could see the helipad from our room. And Versii got to see the Life Flight come in.
We came home from the hospital on Thursday and by Monday he seemed to be all better.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I really enjoyed your updated blog Joy. Thanks for posting so many pictures. It is nice to see everyone. Happy Mother's day to you and to your mom.

Brenda

Linds said...

Oh my word! Poor little Versii, and poor you. He looks so sick in those pictures. Glad he is all better.

Nicole W. said...

so sad....he looks SO sick in some of those pics. Little versii...breaks my heart. I'm so glad he's better and your life can regain some sanity!
love ya!
xo

Blayne and Aerin Yates said...

Joy- I am so sorry! Poor little boy, I am so glad things are going better!

Sue said...

Josh, I really enjoyed meeting you, and for some reason, felt a strong spiritual connection with you. I just read your entire blog. You have such a precious family. Your boys are adorable, and your wife is beautiful! You are a blessed man. Thanks so much for the ride home to St. George. Sorry I spent so much of the time snoring, with my mouth wide open, I'm sure. It was so good to talk with you. I can tell you are a wonderful man, with eternal priorities. I pray that God will shower you and your family with an abundance of peace and blessings.
Sue McFarlane