Saturday, August 2, 2008

My New Project...

...As soon as I get some time to myself, I will be making a temple dress. I bought the fabric a long time ago, but I never had a pattern. I finally found the perfect pattern. The dress already has pockets, so all I have to do is add long sleeves and add some length to the skirt. Both should be fairly simple to do...it's just going to take some time. I already drafted the sleeve pattern, but I haven't stitched up a sample to make sure it will work yet. So just picture the dress in white, with a long sleeve and a floor length skirt. I'm so excited. It's almost exactly like the design I imagined when I originally planned to make it...only this one is better, because most of the pattern is already complete.

Here's a fact that many of you don't know, I have an Associate of Science degree in Apparel design. However, I'm one of those types that just likes to design. I really hate to sew and I don't really enjoy making the patterns either. Especially with my sweet little boys always in everything that I do. Joshua and I are hoping to be sealed in the Portland Temple soon. We are just waiting to find out when that will be. I'll let you all know.
This temple dress is going to be special to me because it will essentially be my wedding dress, that I will then continue to use as my temple dress. When Joshua and I were first married, we kind of eloped and we were married in the room next door to his Bishop's office, with two witnesses that we didn't know, but legally needed to be there. I'll tell you all the whole story another time. Anyway, I wore a white linen skirt, a blue top covered by a little white jacket and my white flip flops, so I never had a wedding dress. ---I figure since the time is drawing near when Joshua and I can be sealed, that I had better take care of preparing my dress. I wouldn't want to have to postpone the date just because my dress isn't done yet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you know how to make up a design. I am totally inept when it comes to things like that. And it will mean so much that you made your own wedding/temple dress. How exciting!!!

The Lara Family said...

I bet you never finish it!!!

Joshua and Joy said...

Jewels, you're such a snot. I know I only finished 2 sewing projects in school, but this one I will complete.

The Lara Family said...

I only said that to motivate you to prove me wrong!

Brittany said...

Joy -- How exciting! I'm so glad to hear your good news and I am sure you'll make a beautiful temple dress!

Nicole W. said...

Joy that is SOOOOOOOOOO exciting!! I can't wait for you!!
let us know when it is and maybe Steve can do your photos!!!
http://stevewagnerphoto.googlepages.com and if you let me, I would LOVE to do your makuep for the big day!!! (just don't do it on a saturday in August lol)

Love Nicole

Linds said...

That is awesome! Good for you. I wish I could sew, not a talent of mine. Anyway, I think the dress will look great. Can't wait to see it!

Nachelle said...

Exciting! I like that pattern, it will make a pretty dress! That is awesome that you know how to make patterns. How hard is it to learn? I've done a lot of sewing but just figured everything out on my own, so it's always a headache and I get so nervous about how it will turn out. The problem is i can't leave the pattern alone but I guess I like designing too, and i always make a bunch of alterations.