Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Love for Three Oranges

Speaking of memories...I was thinking today about an Opera I saw years ago. The Love for Three Oranges

Here's the description I found online, since this describes it better than I can:

In Brief: Take a prince who cannot laugh, a witch who curses him with a fatal passion for not one but three oranges, a double-dealing Prime Minister, a devil with magic bellows, a giant rat and a cook with a lethal ladle; place the whole thing in a fairy-tale kingdom, set it to Prokofiev's sly, scintillating music and you have one of opera's most surreal comic masterpieces, The Love for Three Oranges.

I can't seem to find that this Opera is currently being performed anywhere, but if you ever hear about it, you should definitely go. --This is no ordinary Opera. It was presented as a Scratch & Sniff opera. When we arrived at the opera house, we were given scratch & sniff cards with our programs. And throughout the performance, someone on stage would hold up a card to let the audience know to scratch a certain number on the card. For example: the devil with magic bellows would blow smoke out of his hind end and at that moment, the audience would all be scratching their cards...then the whole auditorium smelled like someone just farted. It was crazy! As you can imagine if hundreds of people are all scratching the cards at the same time, the smell really comes to life. Of course, there was a scratchy for an orange smell too, but those are the only 2 smells I still remember. Anyway, it was definitely one of the best times I ever had at the Opera.

3 comments:

Linds said...

That sounds like a blast. I love opera, I will for sure keep my eye out for that one.

Brenda said...

I think you can get to our blog by using this link. If not then you can reach it by spurlockreidthatcher/blogspot.com

Joshua and Joy said...

Brenda, since I can't comment on your blog...thanks for sharing it with me. I really enjoyed checking out what's going on. Renae is looking great and I can't believe Adrienne is so old. They both look very happy. Thanks again!